Radio Equipment at God's Cozy Acres

Joyce Tarbell

I got a call today from Maryanne Whitlaw, owner of God's Cozy Acres.  It's critical that the radio equipment stored there be removed ASAP.  She is trying to sell the place, and the equipment is hindering the showings.  Can anyone help do this?  Call Maryanne at 865-657-3300 to arrange to pick up the stuff, and please let me know that this is take care of. Thanks.

michael J. foley

If memory serves me correctly, the sale of GCA was announced to the Club in early spring, before the announcement of June Field Day, and a discussion about the removal of radio equipment, antennas, and misc items were to be moved to Club members homes for storage, since nobody wanted to rent a storage unit. Cost was too high, or something like that. Nothing else was ever said anything about it.................until now.

I see 2 options....

1) call members up and ask them to take a piece of equipment for storage at their home. Be it a radio or antenna, whatever. Inventory the items and who is taking what home with them, put their name and contact information on a list, and give that list to the Officers for safe keeping.

2) rent a suitable storage unit and put everything in one place. Inventory it all and move it to one place all at once. Lots of able-bodied people in the Club to do the work. Yeah, the Club is paying for a rental space, but you're not dependent on whoever has the equipment returning it if they leave the Club. The Officers have the list and the key(s).

This should have been a done deal a long time ago. Everyone has time to put out a fire, but not prevent one.

Ben Poff

Folks! The last action that was discussed involved David (N1ESK) and David (KF4DKW) compiling an inventory of equipment. In turn members were encouraged to “adopt” a piece or two and store them. The inventory and storage locations were to be provided to the VP (Ben KN4VIF) so that an inventory control spreadsheet could be developed and posted on the club website.

I personally have a few pieces of gear in my basement but haven’t received any other information. The topic proved difficult to discuss at monthly meetings due to key individuals not being present, but that’s no excuse and I take the blame for not keeping up on it.

I would suggest talking with David & David to figure out just what is left to remove, decide what vehicles are needed to ferry stuff away. Quite frankly I was left with the impression that other than the large (160m) antenna there was nothing significant to remove, so if that’s not the case then more effort needs to be applied. I’m in in FL until next week, so I need some folks to step up.

73
Ben KN4VIF
TLARC Vice President
Monroe County ARES

--
Ben Poff, EMS-LA
Lead Auditor ISO 14001 - Environmental Consultant

Green Canoe Solutions
Greenback, TN 37742
(865) 440-6139  Cell

David Andrews

There is no more TLARC equipment at GCA.

There are some personal items belonging to KF4DKW; these will be removed this weekend, with the exception of one large piece that needs a trailer. When KK6OKU becomes available the last piece will be moved out using his trailer.

Please direct all further queries directly to me at n1esk1@....

David, N1ESK

[...]

I appreciate you jumping in and adding some clarity 😎

73
Ben KN4VIF